Sunday, April 8, 2018

Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card-hen: Episode 13 Review!


Episode 13: “Sakura and Welcome Back, Meilin” aka "Syaoran makes a major blunder"

Queen of Hearts Sakura! So I guess Akiho is Alice?
We finally have the new CCS Clear Card Arc Opening 2, "Rocket Beat" by Kiyono Yasuno. As much as I love Maaya Sakamoto, I had been getting sick of “Clear” since several episodes ago. Which is sad because I never get sick of “Purachina” no matter how many times I hear it. I still like Opening 1, just that I was ready for a new opening, and it came at the right time. I didn’t spoil myself so I didn’t see or hear any previews of the opening before. I love the image of Sakura as a Thumbelina coming out of a red rose, and I really dig her new red “Queen of Hearts” outfit, one of my favorite so far. I also like the image of Sakura standing at the edge of the top of a pilaster structure, which briefly gave me New Trials flashes and a sense of panic as well. Akiho, Kaito, and Momo feature more predominantly in this opening, which makes me kind of annoyed that Syaoran, and even Tomoyo, were rather sidelined with the other characters. The color palette here of the contrasting cool-tone reds and blues gives a different tone, perhaps even darker, from all the previous CCS openings. The song itself is pretty bright, if not a bit forgettable. 





We start off with a cheerleading club practice with Sakura and Chiharu, and as the girls are changing, Sakura gets a text from Meilin, who surprises her by saying she’s in Japan. Meilin appears in front of the school with a red carrier, and Sakura explains, “It’s the real Meiin.” Meilin replies, “Is there a fake me.” Tomoyo, Chiharu, Naoko and Akiho join them soon after, and Meilin quickly points out Akiho as the new girl. I love how blunt Meilin still is, remarking that Akiho talks in “keigo,” formally like Tomoyo does. Sakura asks what Meilin is doing in Japan, when it’s not even summer vacation. And Meilin is gleeful that she surprised everyone. Syaoran and Yamazaki come running out of the school now. Meilin greets Syaoran in Cantonese I think. Syaoran says Meilin didn’t contact him first before coming, which delights me because that is so Meilin. Meilin is excited that she was successfully in surprising Syaoran as well. I love how Meilin still manages to get under Syaoran’s skin and makes him lose his cool. Yamazaki Takashi points off that they’ll get in trouble for hanging out in front of the school gates, a valid point, then tries to interject with a pun, and Chiharu cuts in, and the two exit off, along with Naoko. 

Question of the week: Which girl messed up during cheerleading practice?
Sakura: Hoe, Meilin is back. Right now!
Will the real Meilin raise her hand?
Meilin: So, who's that suspicious new girl?
Tomoyo: Oh my gosh, Akiho, you even followed us here?
Meilin: So, y'all know that I'm the OG Crazy, Annoying New Transfer Girl, right? And nobody messes with my Syaoran while I'm gone!
Akiho: Scary!
Syaoran: Meilin! You didn't tell me you were going to show up, again!
Meilin: Mission accomplished! I surprised Syaoran!
Yamazaki: So, who do you think can play the role of the Wicked Witch Maleficient better? Me or Meilin?
Syaoran: That's a million-dollar question. But I think it's Eriol.
The original quartet, plus Akiho who always seems to be tagging along, walk along the Tomoeda Central Park bridge, and Syaoran worries about he needs to go shopping because he only has food for one person at home. The emphasis on one person. What kind of person who lives alone just has enough food for ONE person? Usually, you stock up on food for the week. (Or I would like to think that Syaoran would like to prepare a feast for Meilin since she came all the way from Hong Kong.) But Meilin remarks, “That’s fine, isn’t it? Syaoran lives alone.” That was such a sketchy line. Maybe she knows that Syaoran is secretly harboring Eriol. Syaoran asks if Meilin, “Are you on a diet again?” All four girls stop and turn around to stare at Syaoran for asking the tabooed question for girls. Honestly, I don’t get what the fuss is, but Sakura is surprised at Syaoran for using the word “dietto” aka “diet,” and Syaoran refutes that Meilin always talks about dieting back in Hong Kong. Anyhow, Meilin announces that the reason Syaoran doesn’t need to prepare food for her is because she plans to stay with Sakura. Am I the only one who is taken aback realizing Meilin still calls Sakura Kinomoto-san, though Sakura calls Meilin, Meilin-chan? And oh my gosh, you’re supposed to give your host at least 24 hours notice if you are going to crash at their place!
 
Meilin: Oh my gosh, Sakura, why is that new girl still following us? Is she your stalker? Don't tell me she has her eyes set on Syaoran?
Syaoran: Meilin, are you on a diet or something?
Syaoran: What? Why are you all staring at me? Did I say something wrong?
Sakura: Don't you know it's taboo to ever remark that a girl needs to be on a diet?
Syaoran: Are you serious? I grew up with four sisters and that's all they ever talked about!
Syaoran: Meilin, did I offend you?
Sakura: I'm sure Meilin won't get offended by something like that!
Meilin: Yeah, I'm offended, and I'm going to stay over at Sakura's place.
Meilin: Besides, Syaoran spends all night facetiming with Eriol, it would be impossible to get any sleep at his place.

Kero-chan the pro-gamer wins an online event-only boss. The first thing Meilin remarks when she sees Kero-chan is that he still looks like a stuffed toy. Sakura and Meilin’s conversation in her room is the sweetest part of the episode. Meilin remarks that Wei is always worried about Syaoran living in Japan by himself, fretting, “Is he eating enough vegetables,” and “I hope he keeps his belly covered when he sleeps.” So cute when Meilin remarks, “Syaoran will always be a baby in Wei’s mind.”

Meilin: Ni hao, Stuffed Animal Hikikomori!
Kero-chan: Welcome back, Brat No. 2 from Hong Kong!
Fujitaka calls, Meilin asks to talk with Fujitaka, which is really weird, but Meilin talks really maturely and courteously to Sakura’s father on the phone, surprising Sakura. So glad to have Meilin’s seiyuu Yukana back! Kero-chan spoils the moment by remarking Meilin’s acting more innocent than usual, and they engage in their usual death glare! Oh so nostalgic since Syaoran is too mature now, or too distracted, to bicker with Kero-chan anymore. Sakura distracts with pretty cookies given by Akiho, made by Kaito the creepy butler. Meilin remarks that it must be lonely for a middle schooler to live alone in Japan, even with a butler. And Sakura then worries about Syaoran and says she wishes she can do something for him. Meilin shrewdly tells Sakura she’s already doing plenty, just staying by his side and smiling a lot. Then Meilin mumbles there are some things you don’t realize yourself.  

Meilin: Wei thinks of Syaoran as a baby still.
Wei: Poor Syaoran-sama, is he sleeping with his tummy covered?
Sakura: I'm not the only one who sleeps with my belly exposed?
Meilin: Don't you know? Syaoran sleeps shirtless. And he's got major abs!

Fujitaka calls, Meilin asks to talk with Fujitaka, which is really weird, but Meilin talks really maturely and courteously to Sakura’s father on the phone, surprising Sakura. So glad to have Meilin’s seiyuu Yukana back! Kero-chan spoils the moment by remarking Meilin’s acting more innocent than usual, and they engage in their usual death glare! Oh so nostalgic since Syaoran is too mature now, or too distracted, to bicker with Kero-chan anymore. Sakura distracts with pretty cookies given by Akiho, made by Kaito the creepy butler. Meilin remarks that it must be lonely for a middle schooler to live alone in Japan, even with a butler. And Sakura then worries about Syaoran and says she wishes she can do something for him. Meilin shrewdly tells Sakura she’s already doing plenty, just staying by his side and smiling a lot. Then Meilin mumbles there are some things you don’t realize yourself.  

Yukito: Touya, I know you're wearing the same outfit you were wearing in Episode 3. Nobody else recycles their daily outfits in this anime. It's just not done.
Favorite screencap of the week: Godzilla-Sakura going "KAOOOO!!!"
The girls are on their own, Fujitaka at work, and Touya staying with Yukito since they have an exam to prepare for. Touya sneezes as Sakura wonders if her brother isn’t being a bother to Yukito. I missed Touya and Yukito’s interactions in the past several episodes, so it was good to have substantive conversation between both Yuki and Touya and Yue and Touya. Touya’s imagination of Kaiju-Sakura/T-Rex Sakura spouting fire and going, “Kao” is the cutest thing ever! There was something kind of sad about Yukito remarking how it was nice the way the Kinomoto family members all trusted each other. Poor Yuki with his fabricated memories (I blame Clow Reed). I love how Yukito then seriously asks Touya about his new powers. It was a bit heartbreaking when Yuki asks, “You still won’t tell me what it is? You said you will tell me when it is time. Do you know when that will be?” Touya only replies that he doesn’t know when it will happen, “but when it does, you will know.”  I always did point out Touya and Syaoran were similar. Yukito may be frustrated with the non-answer and transforms into Yue. I was missing interactions between Yue and Touya as well. Yue remarks Touya’s power is slowly returning, a new sort of power. Apparently Sakura hasn’t noticed, but she didn’t notice Touya’s original powers either. Touya was originally able to see ghosts and whatnot, which was inherited from their mother, I believe. So is the new power the powers inherited from his father’s side, or Clow Reed-related, I wonder? Or Nadeshiko may have had more than one sort of power, since it seems like she will play a larger role later on in the manga. I like how Yue can ask the questions that Yukito cannot, and he asks Touya why he doesn’t tell him about this new power. But Touya tells him “Now is not the time to tell you, that’s all.” They have a stare-off, and Yue gives in, remarking, “Once you’ve made up your mind, you won’t change it, just like your sister.”

Yukito: "I know you're hiding something from me."
Yue: "I know you're hiding something from me."
Touya: "I'm not going to tell you, either, Tsundere-Yuki!"
Yue: "I hate you. I'm never going to talk to you again. You stubborn Kinomoto siblings! I hate you more than Clow!"
Touya: Ah, has Yue always been this moe? Kyun.

I’m actually getting legit cooking tips from this show. I’m going to use a butter knife or spatula when I make dumplings/gyoza next time to prevent air bubbles from forming. OMG I can’t even over how nonchalantly Meilin picks off flour-covered Kero-chan from the tray and flings him away without batting an eye. I hope someone makes a gif of this. Poor domesticated Kero-chan just goes and washes himself off in the sink and even helps mix in perilla—which I believe is shiso—into the filling. The girls look so cute huffing and puffing as they eat the steaming gyoza, Meilin gets pissed when Kero-chan remarks, “I guess you have something you are good at, Brat,” and Kero-chan makes the best one-line again: “Well, being hungry makes people cranky.” Yes! I know all about being hangry. Sakura is busy stuffing her face and exclaims how delicious the gyoza is and a placated Meilin remarks how unsettling it is to be complimented so openly. Kero-chan remarks, digging his own grave, “I guess that means no one normally gives you compliments,” a true but sad statement, and Meilin takes away his gyoza. 

Cooking Master Meilin: Use a spatula or butter knife to fill the gyoza to prevent air bubbles.
Cooking Master Meilin: Immediately discard trash.
Cooking Master Meilin: If you're going to marry Syaoran, you have to master how to make 101 different types of dumplings from scratch!
Cooking Master Meilin: Servant, mix the fillings!
Meilin: It's 1,000 years too early for you to become Syaoran's bride!
Sakura: It's okay, Syaoran's better at cooking than me, I think I'll leave the house chores to him!

We see Meilin with her hair down after a bath (Mizuki Kai would die to see this), and Syaoran as if on cue sends a text to Meilin (her smartphone case is red of course). He texts here: “You’re not being a bother, are you? Nothing weird has happened?” Meilin remarks that Syaoran worries too much and texts him, “Everything’s fine. Have Kinomoto-san make you gyoza sometime.” Then she sends him photos of the gyoza and Sakura eating them with a smile! Meilin remarks Sakura hasn’t changed at all, and that she can’t blame Syaoran for worrying. Sakura comes out of the bath with wet hair, and we have more hairdryer product placement

Meilin: Time to make Syaoran jealous time! Teehee.
Meilin: Pan-fried gyoza, check. Cute, happy Sakura eating, check! 
Meilin: Now, time for the ultimate thing to make Syaoran jealous!
Meilin: Sakura, have you ever thought about growing out your hair!
Meilin: So, my boyfriend Kai's favorite characteristic about me is my hair.

Meilin remarks that natural airheads are troublesome, and then proceeds to blow-dry Sakura’s hair for her, saying she’s always wanted to try drying someone’s hair. Sakura says it must be hard to dry long hair, and that Tomoyo also has a hard time so her mother’s company invented a blow dryer for long hair. Meilin says she got one too! Meilin gave Sakura a flip-do! And then Meilin asks Sakura if she ever thought about growing out her hair, and Sakura replies that she likes the idea of it, but that it seems like it would be hard to manage in the morning! Oh do, Sakura! Meilin, slyly remarks that Syaoran doesn’t have any hairstyle preferences, and that as a matter of fact, he’s never shown interest in girls in Hong Kong. Sakura then looks really troubled, as she wonders if Syaoran is lonely without all his family in Hong Kong. She points out that last time, he had Wei and Meilin, but this time, he’s really on his own. 

Sakura: I wonder if Syaoran will like me with long hair... Ain't got no time for that in the mornings though!
Meilin: Syaoran has to become the next Li Clan head. Some of his relatives even tried to stop him from returning to Japan.
Meilin: But he came to Japan anyway... wait why do I have this sense of déjà vu all of a sudden?
I really appreciated some insight into Syaoran over the past year from Meilin, who recalls that the whole time Syaoran was back in Hong Kong, after the Sakura Cards were turned, he kept saying he had to go back to Japan. She says she expected him to take longer. We learn that Syaoran’s mother is the head of the Li family now, and that after her, Syaoran’s the strongest. She adds, “I’m sure there’s a lot he has to learn to be the next family head and a lot of things he’ll have to remember.” She also points out that some of his relatives tried to stop him from going to Japan. But Syaoran came to Japan, anyway, and in the end, he got permission from Meilin’s aunt, the current head, which I guess means Li Yelan, Syaoran’s mother. “It’s probably because he wanted to see you,” Meilin states. Sakura has a troubled look, and Meilin asks, “You’re not happy about this?” Sakura replies, “If that’s true, I am,” though she doesn’t look happy at all. With a troubled smile, she continues, “But ever since Syaoran came back, he’s had something on his mind, something important that he can’t tell me.” She adds, “So I wondered, even when he’s smiling, he’s actually hurting somehow.” Which is a relief that Sakura has noticed, but a bit heartbreaking because all the time she’s spent with him, she pretended everything is fine. Meilin asks if Syaoran told you that, and Sakura shakes her head, insert sad music in the background. “I haven’t asked him anything,” she says, because she feels like she can’t ask, but that if it’s something he could tell her, he would. She’s worried that it would be stressful for him to tell her something he didn’t want to. Meilin mutters (in Cantonese) “It’s hard when you’re both important to each other.” Meilin asks what she’s going to do, and Sakura of course decides, “I want to do whatever I can on my own, so he won’t have more to worry about.” Face palm.  Clear Card Sakura or New Trials Sakura are both just too incorrigible. Meilin tells Sakura that what’s important to Syaoran is that she keeps smiling.

Syaoran: Ever since Syaoran came back, he's had something on his mind, something important he can't tell me.
Sakura: I can't ask him anything because I don't want to trouble him... wait, why do I also sense a feeling of déjà vu.
Meilin sprouts Cheshire cat ears and a tail, Sakura points this out, Meilin asks if she’s half-asleep, and the ears and tail disappear.  And we switch to Akiho reading her “Alice in Clockland” book, and Kaito the “Butler” enters the library with chamomile tea. Akiho is reading about a girl who grows cat’s ears and tail, surprise, surprise. And there is a something inside Kaitou’s vest pocket. 

Sakura: Oh my gosh, Meilin, you've sprouted cat ears and a tail!
Sakura: I hope it's not a bakaneko (cat yokai). Last, time an inugami (dog yokai) possessed Syaoran and gave us a big hassle!
Meilin: I think you're confusing canons here. That's over at New Trials.
Sakura: Oh god, you're right. It's just that you're over here, so I got confused!
CCS Clear Card Card Arc ED 2 theme, “Rewind” by Suzuki Minori did not really leave much impression on me. Kero-chan, Suppi-chan and Momo’s antics are cute, but I would rather have a cute Syaoran and Sakura dating scene like the first ending theme. Some of the in-between art and character designs were off this episode, but I think extra budget was used on the new opening and ending sequences, plus the next episode looks stellar based on the previews.

Cutest outfit of the episode goes to Akiho, reading "Alice in Clockland" and brewing up trouble unbeknownst to herself.
Evil Magician Yuna D. Kaito's question of the week:
"What have I got in my pocketses, my preciousssss?"
I was hoping since the prolonged gyoza-making scene that Meilin’s return would be a two-part or longer, and it will be! The preview for the next chapter looks fantastic, especially Syaoran at the end! Also, this whole episode nearly made me confused between Clear Card and New Trials at certain parts, especially some of Meilin and Sakura’s conversations. I think the return of Meilin, since she is not included in the original CCS or Clear Card manga, made it more like New Trials for me, since this too is original episodes from Nanase Ohkawa-sensei. I do appreciate Meilin’s insight into Syaoran, and also a tad bit more about the Li Clan structure back in Hong Kong. I had to groan at the idea that even here, he had relatives opposed to his returning to Japan. Poor Syaoran, he never gets a break anywhere!

Kaitou Magician's fantasy right here, nyan!

3 comments:

  1. You repeated the "Fujitaka calls" paragraph. Also, nice blog. It's nice to read someone else's impressions on this anime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have drawn Tomoyo as Alice, but don't forget that Wonderland was also featured in NT during Miho's birthday party in Arc 4.

    The visual of the second opening was great, but I still like the song from the first one better. I think it's because it represents a rebirth of the series that we adore. Out of all of the songs, I know Catch You, Catch Me the best and then I remember Candy only because of your Syaoran the Waiter Boy vid. If I try to remember anything else, Jewelry just takes over.

    I really loved Sakura and Chiharu's routine at the beginning of the episode. It feels like school just started yet they're pretty advanced.

    I think it's absolutely wild that I watched this episode right off of the heels of reading Chapter 39: Impulse because it hits on so many of the same beats. Not only does Meilin come unexpectedly (in NT she lied to her parents about being on a school trip) and we get the confirmation that Syaoran's family did not want him going to Japan (in NT Syaoran can only go on the condition that things remain professional between him and Sakura). It's also the chapter where "level-something magicians" are also explained and Touya is a Level 3 magician, which explains how he was able to get his power back. And here's CC Touya singing the same song.

    Meilin's Wei impression was hilarious. It's nice to know that he still dotes on Syaoran. When we got the Godzilla!Sakura, it totally reminded me of the NT quote where Syaoran always thought monsters were cute. It was so wild to see the pink hair dryer! Your design is way better. I was absolutely tickled at the conversation about Sakura growing out her hair. The only reason she did it in NT was because Touya teased her about not having the patience.

    And of course when Meilin sprouted those ears it was pretty much flashes of Syaoran with dog ears!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bloog. I've been reading it since and the captions on every picture always makes me laugh. The part where Tomoyo was surprised Akiho followed them really make me burst out laughing. XD I'm excitedd to read your next blog on the recent episode 'cause it's reaally really FANGIRLING scenesss.

    ReplyDelete